As UK lockdown restrictions are eased there are new rules and requirements that you must be aware of before you travel to your next assignment.


Border Rules have been implemented in the UK with immediate effect which require travellers entering the UK to complete a 14 day quarantine upon entry. There are some exemptions for our industry which include;

  • Workers required for the continued safe and secure operation, maintenance and essential support services for offshore oil and gas infrastructure in the UK are exempt from the 14 day quarantine.
  • Seamen and masters as defined in section 313(1) Merchant Shipping Act 1995, maritime pilots as defined in para 22(1) of schedule 3A of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995, and inspectors and surveyors of ships appointed under section 256 of the Merchant Shipping Act 199

As a seafarer you will be exempt from the quarantine law however you will still need to complete the Public Health passenger locator form before you travel to the UK, this can completed up to 48 hour in advance. You will not need to self-isolate for 14 days.

  • You may be required to show a letter from your company at the border which includes:
    • your personal details, such as name and address
    • contact details for your employer
    • what work you will be doing
  • If you work on a ship, including fishermen, you should show a Seafarers Identification Document (SID) if you have one.
  • If you don’t have a SID, you can show joining papers, seafarers employment agreement or a seafarers discharge book (Continuous Certificate of Discharge) instead.
  • Alternatively, you could show a basic training certificate or declaration from the registered owners of the vessel that you are a crew member


The wearing of face coverings on public transport across the UK has been made mandatory with immediate effect and you could be fined if you do not comply.  This applies to ferry services operating within, to and from England.

We await confirmation from the Department of Transport but the expectation is that all crew members involved in passenger handling duties, and those working at or within social distancing limits will also wear face coverings. This will also apply to all passengers travelling via ferry, trains, coaches and buses.


Please make sure you have at least one face-covering with you for travel. It is expected that PPE will be supplied on board however you should always be prepared with your own. Please remember that a face-covering does not replace regular hand washing, or the use of hand sanitiser – these measures remain to be the best way to protect yourself from the virus.


The NHS and Care workers take priority for medical grade masks but there are many options available for you to cover your face, which includes making your own masks at home if you wish.

If you do not have access to facemasks there are a number of no-sew options available, we have included a link to these at the bottom of the page along with a free printable mask pattern if you, or someone you know can sew.


Public Health Passenger Locator Form

Border Rules Guidance from GOV.UK

Find out more about face-coverings from the World Health Organisation here.

Information from the Centres for Disease Control & Prevention

3 Easy ways to make your own NO SEW face mask

Facemask with Filter free sewing pattern